Welcome to Great Barrier Reef Tours
The Great Barrier Reef is the Earth’s largest living organism and visible from Space! It is located in the Coral Sea off the coast of Queensland and is a treasured UNESCO World Heritage listed site.
We have a passion to show you Australia’s Great Barrier Reef and have all the information to help you plan your perfect ‘once in a lifetime’ memory!
Top Ten Great Barrier Reef Facts
- You can see Australia’s Great Barrier Reef from the Moon.
- Australia’s Great Barrier Reef is the World’s latest coral reef system. Over 2,900 individual reefs and around 900 islands stretching over 2,300 kilometres (1429 miles) over an area of approximately 344,400 square kilometres.
- The Great Barrier Reef makes up about 10% of the world’s coral reefs.
- The Great Barrier Reef is one of the 7 natural wonders of the World UNESCO site ID:154. The reef became a World Heritage site in 1981.
- All of the corals on the Great Barrier Reef spawn once a year it’s the largest sex event on the planet and it generally happens around 4 days after the full moon in November.
- Great Barrier Reef is located in the Coral Sea on the North East Queensland Coast of Australia.
- 10 percent of the worlds entire fish species live on the Great Barrier Reef.
- On the 1st July 2004 the Great Barrier Reef became the largest protected marine area in the World.
- Coral Reefs create clouds to control the climate.
- The brilliant colour of coral comes from zooxanthellae (tiny algae) living inside their tissues.
Read more about the Great Barrier Reef