- Area 282.8 km²
- Location: Queensland, Australia
- Elevation maximum 418 metres and average 25 metres
- Founded 1770
- Population 1570
- Postcode 4802
The Whitsundays has something for everyone starting with romantic getaways.
Then families looking to visit the Whitsundays can base themselves on the mainland at Airlie Beach or out on one of the islands.
Airlie Beach is an excellent hub for family holidays. Starting with the lagoon, you will find gardens, a beach area and a children’s pool. While visiting, enjoy a picnic using one of the free BBQs within the lagoons parkland. Kids will also love the fantastic playground.
The tropical urban scene of cafes, markets and regional town charm give families a low-key, stress-free stay.
Hamilton Island and Daydream Island are two of the most popular family destinations in the Whitsundays.
Hotel and Resort facilities
Island Resorts meet the needs of families. With a range of different accommodation options, restaurants, swimming pools and activities to keep them safe and entertained on the island.
Hamilton Island has its airport, and visitors can fly from Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane. From Hamilton Island, visitors can access the other islands and Airlie Beach by boat.
Other famous Whitsunday Islands include Hayman Island, Long Island and Whitsunday Island.
Things to do
Start with a tour to the outer barrier reef and then visit the local Whitsunday Islands. Next, visit the glorious world-famous Whitehaven Beach.
While on Daydream Island, kids will love the Living Reef program.
Then visit other family-friendly islands, including Hayman Island, the northernmost of the Whitsunday Group.
Scenic flight options by helicopter or seaplane over the area, offering unique sights such as the stunning and famous Heart Reef.
Where to Stay
Here you will find a fantastic range of accommodations and many with amazing views over the Coral Sea. Airlie Beach is a great holiday destination.
- Hamilton Island Triathlon and ocean swim from the 20 November to the 19 November 2022
- Coral Sea Academy is on from 6 July 2022
- New Year celebration on the 31 December 2022
- Dream Machine Festival 2022 is on from the 26 January 2022 through to the 30 January 2022
- Rippa Rods Family Fishing Competition is on from the 30 April 2022 to the 1 May 2022
- Hamilton Island Race Week from the 20 August 2022
- Great Barrier Reef Festival from 4 August 2022 to the 7 August 2022
Getting to the Whitsundays
Fly to Proserpine or Hamilton Island, take a bus or drive. One thing is for sure you are in for a treat when you arrive.