Ocean Spirit Cruise sails to Michaelmas Cay.
Ocean Spirit travels under motorised sail for about 2 hours before reaching Michaelmas Cay.
Michaelmas Cay is at the tip of Michaelmas Reef. The coral cay is 1.8 hectares and rises to 3.5 metres above sea level.
Visitors can enjoy excellent coral and marine life. Visitors regularly see Turtles and giant clams in the waters surrounding Michaelmas Cay.
This Cay is an important breeding site for up to 20,000 breeding pairs of seabirds at any one time.
Once you arrive at this pristine location with its azure blue water and white sand, you will want to start exploring.
This day tour offers snorkeling, scuba diving and semi-submarine tours.
Then watch the fish feeding and observe the birdlife at this protected National Marine Park.
Ocean Spirt visits Michaelmas Cay, a protected sand cay within the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park.
Next, explore more fantastic Great Barrier Reef tours.
This Great Barrier Reef tour visits Michaelmas Cay.
Your Adventure Begins
- 07:30 – First check-in at Ocean Spirit’s counter in the Reef Fleet Terminal
- 08:00 – Boarding commences.
- 8:05 – Morning tea with muffin and focaccia served.
- 08:30 – Depart Cairns
- 09:00 – Reef Brief, safety, and snorkel demonstration
- 09:30 – Marine Biologist slide show presentation
- 10:00 – Dive brief for introductory divers
- 10:30 – Arrive at Michaelmas Cay and explore this protected site.
- Noon – Buffet lunch onboard
- 13:00 – Continue Reef activities
- 14:30 – Afternoon Tea onboard
- 15:30 – Commence sailing back to Cairns.
- Then relax and enjoy complimentary sparkling wine, cheese and crackers.
- 17:00 – Arrive back in Cairns
Activities while you are at Michaelmas Cay
- Fish feeding presentation
- Semi-submersible coral viewing tour
- Introductory scuba diving. (Dive sessions are 11:00am, 12:15pm, 1:30pm)
Cairns Sailing Inclusions
- Ocean Spirit cruise to Michaelmas Cay
- Experience 4 hours at Michaelmas Cay on the Reef
- Then morning tea with muffins and focaccia
- Afternoon tea with tropical fruit platter and cake of the day
- Delicious hot and cold buffet lunch, including fresh prawns
- Snorkelling equipment and instruction
- Buoyancy vests
- Marine Biologist presentation
- Semi-submersible coral viewing tour with commentary
- Fish feedings presentation
- A glass of sparkling wine served on the homeward journey, cheese and crackers.
- Lycra suits
- Environmental Management Charge
- Guided Snorkel Tour
- Introductory and Certified Diving (Medical Conditions Apply)
- Your camera
- Swimwear and towel
- Hat and Sunscreen
- Cash or credit card for onboard purchases, souvenirs and optional activities
How do I Get to Ocean Spirit
Check your boarding pass at the Ocean Spirit counter inside the Reef Fleet Terminal.
Boarding commences at 7:30 am.
You arrive back at Cairns Marina at approximately 5:00 pm
Where Can I Park?
Several parking stations throughout Cairns are within walking distance of the Marina. Click here to see where
Important Information for Scuba Diving with Ocean Spirit
Safety Comes First!
Please make sure you understand the scuba diving laws.
Queensland, Australia, has the strictest scuba diving rules globally.
The Queensland Government Code of Practice regulates all companies that provide scuba diving. There are regulations that all companies must follow.
Complete our dive medical questionnaire and be well informed. Some medical conditions, age, and medications may prevent you from scuba diving. Our mission is to provide our passengers with the best Great Barrier Reef experience.
We are happy to help you with any questions you may have. Please contact our office on 07 4037 2700 or email us at [email protected].
Or you may like to consult your Doctor for a Dive Medical using the Australian Standard Forms’ AS.4005.1
Flying after Scuba Diving
For a single, no decompression scuba dive, do not fly or go to altitude for at least 18 hours after a scuba dive.
You should not fly for 24 hours after your last dive for multiple dives.
If you are Skydiving or Hot Air Ballooning, you must wait 24 hours after your dive.
We recommend waiting a minimum of 24 hours whenever possible.